Configure your Email for the Thunderbird Client
Posted by Nick Poindexter on 05 October 2011 04:32 PM
Thunderbird 7.0.1 setup guide:|
What you will need:
• User Name
• Email Address
• IMAP/POP3 server information /address
1. Execute the Thunderbird program from the start menu.
2. Once Thunderbird starts up, update it by going to the “help” tab and then click “About Thunderbird” near the bottom.
3. Take note of the “version” number and make sure it says “Thunderbird is up to date”. If not, update it now to latest version available.
4. Add your email account by going to “Tools” tab then “Account Settings”.
5. In the window that pop up, go the bottom and click on “Account Actions” and then “Add Mail Account”.
6. In the window that appears, fill in the 3 following fields with your information:
a. Your Name: Your Name
b. Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
c. Password: your password
d. Remember password: this is optional, uncheck for added security which will prompt you to enter your password each time you open your email client, otherwise leave it checked.
e. Click “Continue”
7. After you click continue, another section opens up that will look like the following and you will have option to either use “IMAP” which keeps mail on the server so you can retrieve it anytime or use “POP3” which will transfer the mail from the server and keep it locally on your computer. (*note, you cannot retrieve this email again once it has been transferred from the server). IMAP is being used in this example.
8. Now click on “Manual config” at the bottom of the window.
9. In the window that appears, change the drop down box from “STARTTLS” to SSL/TLS and verify the “Outgoing: SMTP port” is set to “465”.
10. Click “Create Account” and you are all set.